Monday, January 3, 2011

Out With a Bang

I know, I know... it's been a while.

I've come to the conclusion that until we have children (or lives) then posts will be few and far between.  I'll take our super boring non-dramatic life though...vs others that I hear about.  Boring and nothingness = OK.

So I haven't told you about a few things. 

We'll start with the day after Christmas crisis. 

I thought we'd make going ice skating the day after Christmas a tradition.  You know something fun to do since Mike and I are both professionals and we both teach it part-time and we are on the ice 7 days a week combined.  I thought it would be a good idea. 

Well, maybe not so much.  We went with my family - brother, sister, mother, Mike's family - mom, dad, and my mom's friend Anne.  We were all having a good ol' time until my mother (who I am going to enter into Adult competitions - she's pretty good) wanted to learn how to do back crossovers.  So... Mike was teaching her.  He showed her how to do it and then skated off backwards... Just about the time that my brother had fallen almost directly behind him. 

I was off the ice tying my sister's skates and we saw it all.  Ugh...

Michael had fallen just as Mike had skated back and it happened so quickly that there was no time to react on any part - me, Mike or Michael.  Mike was down.  And out.  And not moving. 

I didn't go out immediately because I thought he was joking at first. 
Nope.

I skated out there and he couldn't talk or move.  I've never been that scared in my life.  I thought oh my gosh, he's paralyzed.  What will we do?  But none of this showed on my face.  I just talked him through it.  I had him grab my hand and squeeze and then he finally after a couple of attempts told me he couldn't move so we had him move his legs and he did (THANK GOD).  I had him lay there for a few minutes until we were sure he was semi-OK to get up.  I skated him off the ice after he thought he could do it himself and couldn't keep his balance. 

He had the largest nugget on the back of his head I've ever felt.  I mean this was the hardest I've ever seen anyone fall.  I think there were 2 items in play that helped his noggin immensely.  1- his hat.  While it wasnt' very cushion-y when I came to check on him it was neatly folded in half directly under his head.  I think this was a blessing in disguise.  I believe it prevented him from getting an actual cut and needing stitches and instead just allowed a few scrapes on his head.  2- His North Face Jacket.  I know this is going to sound dumb but it's one with the hood folded into the collar and I think it acted as a sort of brace.  I knew I loved The North Face, but now I know why! 

He couldn't remember some things at first, but they slowly came back to him. 

Now, I know you are probably thinking....why didn't they go to the hospital?  That was my thought too.  We should go to the hospital.  Well, Mike didn't have insurance coverage until Jan 2nd due to a few mishaps at my workplace.  His paperwork was not properly processed initially and so we had to wait and have him fall into my coverage during open enrollment and his coverage had not yet started.  I know, right?!  What bad luck.  But when Mike and I go ice skating (which is rare), it doesn't even cross our minds that we'll be the ones to get hurt. 

So needless to say, 2010 went out with a bang.  A really big bang on the hard cold ice.  A really really big bang to The Kellermeyers. 

Thank god though, he is OK and well now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment